Monday 13 January 2014

Inspiration


 Lamington National Park Qld


I first heard about the ancient pilgrim road to Santiago De Compostela, known as the Camino or The Way of St James, whilst travelling in the car with my husband Steve listening to ABC Radio National.  Theresa Burkhardt-Felder was discussing her book ‘Pray for Me in Santiago”, written after walking the Camino in 1999 with her husband Gerard.
 
 While Steve was quite aware of the existence of the Camino, I was captivated with descriptions of villages, churches, artworks and ancient architecture to be discovered along this 800km route across Northern Spain.  I later searched for the book in my small local library, and unbelievably there it was in the travel section, patiently awaiting my attention.  That was 5 years ago.
 
Since then we’ve talked wistfully of walking the Camino, only to plan trips and venture off to other places.  Then along came the film ‘The Way’. We sat in the darkened theatre watching this wonderful movie completely enthralled.  As the credits rolled and the lights slowly illuminated, Steve and I turned to each other and whispered in unison “when do we go?”  And so, like hundreds of others who watched this film, we drove home determined to make plans to travel to Spain and walk the Camino. That was a year ago.






No comments:

Post a Comment